From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:20:04
1 On Monday 02 Jan 2012 10:06:39 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:24:35 -0500
3 >
4 > Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 01/01/2012 07:09 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 > > > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:07:45 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
7 > > >> Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial
8 > > >> version bumps and replace major software at the same time. I can't
9 > > >> take a server down for an hour in the middle of the day to update
10 > > >> Apache, but I can bump timezone-data, sure.
11 > > >
12 > > > Why would you need to take it down? All you need to do is restart
13 > > > Apache after the update.
14 > >
15 > > I have to test, like, 200 websites to make sure they still work.
16 > > Something /always/ breaks.
17 > >
18 > > Apache was just an example. PHP is the same way: functions get
19 > > removed, renamed, or just subtly changed. I can't replace Dovecot
20 > > with users logged in. I can't upgrade/restart postgresql while
21 > > clients are hitting it. If I'm working remotely, I don't want to
22 > > update openvpn, iptables, or even openssh. There's a long list of
23 > > packages that I just ain't gonna mess with during the day.
24 >
25 > You have a production machine delivering valuable services to multiple
26 > users.
27 >
28 > Therefore you must only update *anything* on it during planned
29 > maintenance slots. If paying customers are involved then preferably
30 > with a second redundant parallel machine to take over the load during
31 > that slot. You don't have much of an option about this in the real
32 > world, think of it as a constraint that you must simply deal with.
33 >
34 > Or think about it another way, if the machine was running RHEL, you
35 > wouldn't just blindly run yum update in the middle of the working day
36 > and expect it to all be just fine.
37
38 +1
39
40 Even on binary distros I would be apprehensive to update/upgrade a production
41 machine, unless I have run the updates on the test box first. Even so, because
42 I do not have the luxury of identical hardware some times the odd thing may
43 break, but it is a very rare occurrence. With everything running on VMs these
44 days (although not yet my case) this is becoming less of a problem I would
45 think.
46 --
47 Regards,
48 Mick