From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:08:12
1 On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:24:35 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/01/2012 07:09 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:07:45 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial
8 > >> version bumps and replace major software at the same time. I can't
9 > >> take a server down for an hour in the middle of the day to update
10 > >> Apache, but I can bump timezone-data, sure.
11 > >
12 > > Why would you need to take it down? All you need to do is restart
13 > > Apache after the update.
16 > I have to test, like, 200 websites to make sure they still work.
17 > Something /always/ breaks.
18 >
19 > Apache was just an example. PHP is the same way: functions get
20 > removed, renamed, or just subtly changed. I can't replace Dovecot
21 > with users logged in. I can't upgrade/restart postgresql while
22 > clients are hitting it. If I'm working remotely, I don't want to
23 > update openvpn, iptables, or even openssh. There's a long list of
24 > packages that I just ain't gonna mess with during the day.
27 You have a production machine delivering valuable services to multiple
28 users.
29
30 Therefore you must only update *anything* on it during planned
31 maintenance slots. If paying customers are involved then preferably
32 with a second redundant parallel machine to take over the load during
33 that slot. You don't have much of an option about this in the real
34 world, think of it as a constraint that you must simply deal with.
35
36 Or think about it another way, if the machine was running RHEL, you
37 wouldn't just blindly run yum update in the middle of the working day
38 and expect it to all be just fine.
42 Alan McKinnnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com