From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 13:47:40
1 On 01/02/2012 05:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > You have a production machine delivering valuable services to multiple
4 > users.
5 >
6 > Therefore you must only update *anything* on it during planned
7 > maintenance slots. If paying customers are involved then preferably
8 > with a second redundant parallel machine to take over the load during
9 > that slot. You don't have much of an option about this in the real
10 > world, think of it as a constraint that you must simply deal with.
11
12 In a perfect world, we would do this for all updates. But there's only
13 one of me, and my time is better spent doing other things than,
14
15 * writing documentation
16 * updating the test machine to match production
17 * doing the update
18 * testing all critical services
19 * pushing the update live
20 * retesting
21
22 just to update ca-certificates on a database server.
23
24 We do all of the above for major upgrades, and by now I have a pretty
25 good idea of which upgrades are going to break something.
26
27 I still wind up using emerge -u on the test machines -- I upgrade all of
28 the minor packages and ensure that things are still working before I do
29 the major one, so if something breaks, I'm not chasing ghosts.