From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 00:26:32
1 On 01/01/2012 07:09 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:07:45 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >> Usually it's because a world update wants to do both trivial version
5 >> bumps and replace major software at the same time. I can't take a
6 >> server down for an hour in the middle of the day to update Apache, but
7 >> I can bump timezone-data, sure.
8 >
9 > Why would you need to take it down? All you need to do is restart Apache
10 > after the update.
13 I have to test, like, 200 websites to make sure they still work.
14 Something /always/ breaks.
15
16 Apache was just an example. PHP is the same way: functions get removed,
17 renamed, or just subtly changed. I can't replace Dovecot with users
18 logged in. I can't upgrade/restart postgresql while clients are hitting
19 it. If I'm working remotely, I don't want to update openvpn, iptables,
20 or even openssh. There's a long list of packages that I just ain't gonna
21 mess with during the day.