From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 09:20:49
1 On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:24:35 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > Why would you need to take it down? All you need to do is restart
4 > > Apache after the update.
7 > I have to test, like, 200 websites to make sure they still work.
8 > Something /always/ breaks.
9 >
10 > Apache was just an example. PHP is the same way: functions get removed,
11 > renamed, or just subtly changed. I can't replace Dovecot with users
12 > logged in. I can't upgrade/restart postgresql while clients are hitting
13 > it. If I'm working remotely, I don't want to update openvpn, iptables,
14 > or even openssh. There's a long list of packages that I just ain't
15 > gonna mess with during the day.
16
17 And you test all this on production servers?
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 A friend of mine sent me a postcard with a satellite photo of the
24 entire planet on it, and on the back he wrote, "Wish you were here."