From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Custom ebuilds for CoreOS
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:10:52
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > To me, it appears that some forward looking folks have forked
5 > > (stolen the best parts?) gentoo, made some fundamental
6 > > (long overdue changes) and are > > all about creating a
7 > > source_to_cluster platform. (hmmmm, vaguely sounds
8 > > familiar...scratching head). It is a natural evilution for linux to
9 > > take; or are we going to embrace some much needed change
10 > > (new ideas) into gentoo?
14 > I have no idea if CoreOS is Gentoo-derived, but it is very much a
15 > special-purpose distro. The whole concept is that you put all the
16 > value-add in the containers, and then you just want a really standard
17 > and lightweight distro to host your containers in. Maybe you run
18 > CentOS in one container, and Gentoo in another container, and Debian
19 > in another container.
20
21 Your first points are understood; and centos appear to be focused on the
22 commercial "cloud" mentality of don't buy hareware, rent containers
23 from us crowd. That, to me, is a fool's path.
24
25 What I'm hoping for is that with the (gentoo) past of revolving devs,
26 Hasufell ideas for distributed development by reducing the gentoo core;
27 Flameyes takedown of tinderbox, my pursuit of clustering and many other
28 issues (pid1) all seem to inidcate that many distros are fundamentally
29 examining their path(s) forward. So, I think gentoo can have a minimize
30 version that achieves what CoreOS is doing, but it is gentoo-bare-metal
31 centric. I think Gentoo can robustly support systemd and openrc, containers
32 and other key areas and new technologies, in a fundamentally
33 unique way.
36 I do think a fundamental "update" to the entire gentoo environment is a
37 healthy ares for discussion. I do appreciate your insights on coreOS. I see
38 it as a minimized embedded effort to bring resources into a cluster that is
39 exclusively controlled by the owner. I have "zero" interest in the "cloud"
40 as beside being a very dumb idea for too many reasons to innumerate, it
41 removes folks from gaining knowledge of direct hardware experiences.
42
43 I do love the way the "cloud" vendors find and collect up the very best
44 ideas. I hate how the "cloud" vendors want to offer those best ideas,
45 as a transient benefit via time-rented binaries.
46
47 I strongly believe we are at a nexus (a vergence in the force) as many
48 new technologies are converging very rapidly. Call it what you like,
49 but, we are at the crossroads of some very unique opportunites, imho.
50 If we had a gentoo cluster right now, something like tinderbox would
51 have been running there all along. YMMV.
54 James