From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Custom ebuilds for CoreOS
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 21:24:59
1 On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > It clams to be 100% open source. It runs on "bare metal", linux systems,
4 > clusters and clouds. It claims to have a much small footprint ~114 MB and
5 > boots very very fast via pxi(boot).
6
7 The whole idea of CoreOS is to be the host for a bunch of containers.
8 The host is completely generic - other than maybe configuring things
9 like the network or hardware or things actually related to hosting
10 (what containers to run/how/etc) you aren't suppose to really touch
11 it. You don't install packages on the host. All the stuff you care
12 about goes into the containers.
13
14 Think of it like VMWare on bare metal, except it is linux and you're
15 running containers and not VMs (so much more efficient, and less
16 secure).
19 > Surely there will be a openrc version(s) that survives, adapts and remains
20 > relevant.
21
22 Again, the point of CoreOS is that you don't care how the host works.
23 You won't add/remove services from the host. As such you won't care
24 what init implementation it runs.
25
26 The containers are a completely different beast. You might just run
27 your application in the container as PID 1. Or, maybe you run
28 something like sysvinit+openrc or systemd inside a container. You
29 could have one of each running on the same host.
32 > To me, it appears that some forward looking folks have forked (stolen the
33 > best parts?) gentoo, made some fundamental (long overdue changes) and are
34 > all about creating a source_to_cluster platform. (hmmmm, vaguely sounds
35 > familiar...scratching head). It is a natural evilution for linux to take; or
36 > are we going to embrace some much needed change (new ideas) into gentoo?
37
38 I have no idea if CoreOS is Gentoo-derived, but it is very much a
39 special-purpose distro. The whole concept is that you put all the
40 value-add in the containers, and then you just want a really standard
41 and lightweight distro to host your containers in. Maybe you run
42 CentOS in one container, and Gentoo in another container, and Debian
43 in another container.
46 Rich