From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN and IPsec
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:24:36
1 On Thursday 11 December 2008, 22:08, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Hi All,
4 >
5 > I would like to set up a VPN connection to a router which is using IKE
6 > & IPsec:
7 > http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25474&seqNum=7
8 >
9 > Would I be able to achieve this using OpenVPN on my gentoo box?
10
11 Unfortunately not, openvpn is mostly a software-only product until now
12 and is not found in hardware appliances like routers or firewalls (at
13 least as far as I know).
14
15 > I read the IPsec HowTo and scared myself to death (it seems long enough
16 > to warrant me taking time off work to read it . . . and at least
17 > another day to try it ;)
18
19 Yes, Ipsec can be a nightmare. For connecting to cisco, try using vpnc
20 (perhaps with kvpnc if you're under kde) which should work reasonably
21 well. Both programs are in portage.
22 kvpnc also acts as a single interface to handle various kinds of vpn
23 connections (including openvpn, ipsec, pptp (to connect to some
24 microsoft-based servers) and others).