From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN and IPsec
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:30:10
1 2008/12/11 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>:
2 > On Thursday 11 December 2008, 22:08, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi All,
5 >>
6 >> I would like to set up a VPN connection to a router which is using IKE
7 >> & IPsec:
8 >> http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=25474&seqNum=7
9 >>
10 >> Would I be able to achieve this using OpenVPN on my gentoo box?
11 >
12 > Unfortunately not, openvpn is mostly a software-only product until now
13 > and is not found in hardware appliances like routers or firewalls (at
14 > least as far as I know).
15 >
16 >> I read the IPsec HowTo and scared myself to death (it seems long enough
17 >> to warrant me taking time off work to read it . . . and at least
18 >> another day to try it ;)
19 >
20 > Yes, Ipsec can be a nightmare. For connecting to cisco, try using vpnc
21 > (perhaps with kvpnc if you're under kde) which should work reasonably
22 > well. Both programs are in portage.
23 > kvpnc also acts as a single interface to handle various kinds of vpn
24 > connections (including openvpn, ipsec, pptp (to connect to some
25 > microsoft-based servers) and others).
26
27 Well, the router is a Cisco clone so it might work - thanks for the tip!
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick