From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recreating a directory structure and indicating a files presence
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:17:17
1 On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:33:39 +0800
2 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 > I have the situation where I have a large amount of data,
6 > many TB's, made up of many, many files. This information has now been
7 > archived but I've got people who want to be able to see what data
8 > does/does not exist, filling in gaps where they may exist.
9 >
10 > As this data used to be available/visible in a directory
11 > structure, ie via a file browser, I thought the easiest way for them
12 > to see if something existed would be to create a mirror of the
13 > directory structure and then populate this dir structure with 1 - 5
14 > byte files with the same name as the "real" data files that now
15 > reside in the archive. I've seen some scripts on the interweb that
16 > allow me to create the dir structure, but does anyone have any ideas
17 > how to do the creation of the "marker" files in the active file
18 > system?
19 >
20 > Just buying more hard disks and keeping the data on line also
21 > isn't an option.
22 >
23 > Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
24 >
25 > Andrew
28 I don't understand why you specify 1-5 byte files. Those few bytes will
29 always be useless. Rather use 0-length files.
30
31 On the archive:
32
33 find /root/of/dir/structure -type d > dirs.txt
34 find /root/of/dir/structure -type f > files.txt
35
36 Copy those two files to the on-line system:
37
38 for I in `cat dirs.txt` ; do mkdir -p $I ; done
39 for I in `cat files.txt` ; do touch -p $I ; done
40
41 Do that in the appropriate top-level directory of course. You can
42 probably make it more efficient using decent options to xargs, but what
43 the hell, I'd do it as-is. It's a once off action and finding the xargs
44 man page will take longer than the mkdirs....
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com