From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recreating a directory structure and indicating a files presence
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:35:44
1 Hi all,
2 I have the situation where I have a large amount of data, many TB's,
3 made up of many, many files. This information has now been archived but
4 I've got people who want to be able to see what data does/does not
5 exist, filling in gaps where they may exist.
6
7 As this data used to be available/visible in a directory structure, ie
8 via a file browser, I thought the easiest way for them to see if
9 something existed would be to create a mirror of the directory structure
10 and then populate this dir structure with 1 - 5 byte files with the same
11 name as the "real" data files that now reside in the archive. I've seen
12 some scripts on the interweb that allow me to create the dir structure,
13 but does anyone have any ideas how to do the creation of the "marker"
14 files in the active file system?
15
16 Just buying more hard disks and keeping the data on line also isn't an
17 option.
18
19 Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
20