From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRM Problem : Radeon HD 7670M
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 16:47:44
1 On Sunday 27 Mar 2016 00:23:21 JingYuan Chen wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I had installed Gentoo in my laptop successfully last weekend. My laptop
5 > is Toshiba Satellite L840. I found that my VGA card is Radeon HD 7670M
6 > using "lspci -k" command. Therefore, I refer to Gentoo's Radeon wiki page
7 > to configure 4.1.15-r1 kernel with TURKS firmware and emerge linux-firmware
8 > atom.
9 >
10 > However, my new kernel can not load TURKS successfully. I notice that there
11 > is an error message with DRM in dmesg's output. It shows
12 > [drm:evergreen_init] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware.
13
14 So the kernel *wants* to load the Evergreen firmware blobs.
17 > Why Evergreen ? Is not Northern Islands ? I am sure that the filename I
18 > gave is TURKS's firmware in menuconfig.
19
20 Sure, but the kernel seems to think that the hardware is evergreen for some
21 reason. The Radeon HD 7670M apparently is based on the same chipset as Radeon
22 HD 6650M:
23
24 http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html
25
26 so it may be that the foundry it came out of was of an Evergreen batch.
29 > How could I make the dmesg's error message more verbose to debug ?
30 >
31 > Are there some configurations should I check again ?
32 >
33 > p.s. I built it in kernel not in modules.
34 >
35 > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
36 >
37 > Regards,
38 > Phil
39
40 I would first check that you have in your menuconfig the complete space
41 separated Turks stanza:
42
43 radeon/BTC_rlc.bin radeon/TURKS_mc.bin radeon/TURKS_me.bin
44 radeon/TURKS_pfp.bin radeon/TURKS_smc.bin radeon/SUMO_uvd.bin
45
46 and make sure there are no misspellings in there. If it still complains, then
47 replace these with the Evergreen (or whatever dmesg complains about) and try
48 booting again.
49
50 BTW, have you tried booting different kernels, or LiveISOs to see what they
51 detect the hardware as?
54 Regards,
55 Mick