From: Jason Rivard <jase.rivard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes + extra-ciphers...
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:53:27
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> at Wednesday 25 June 2008, 22:25:18
5 > > Are you a cryptology expert?
6 >
7 > Are you then?
10 I doubt that either of you are cryptology experts. I've known a few, and I
11 am a crypto-expert, who has worked for the government of the US.
14 > > The only thing that cryptography attempts to do is reduce the
15 > > **probability** of cracking the key and gaining access to the data as low
16 > > as possible.
17 >
18 > No news. That's, why cryptology defines "security" not as "being
19 > impossible
20 > to crack", but as "being sufficiently improbable to crack". The only
21 > cipher, that can't be "brute-forced", is the OTP, which is
22 > considered "perfectly secure".
25 There is no such thing as perfectly secure, but a cipher algorithm that
26 would take *all* the computers on Earth a year or more to crack is pretty
27 secure.
30 > > As for brute forcing a passphrase: Since most implementations of AES
31 > > (Rijndael) use a hash of the passphrase to form the key, it amounts to
32 > > the same thing, in practice, as cracking the key.
33 >
34 > First of all, you can perform hard disk encryption _without_ a passphrase.
35 > You can store keyfiles on smart cards, usb sticks, etc. In this case, you
36 > can generate a _truely random_ key.
37 >
38 > Using a passphrase is the most insecure approach, but still, with a
39 > sufficiently random passphrase, you can gain a level of security, that even
40 > the NSA will find difficult to come around.
41 >
42 > The randomness of a 30-char passphrase does of course by far not match the
43 > randomness of a 256-bit key, so there is a real chance, that it can be
44 > guessed by brute force. Still it will take much cpu time, which is not
45 > endless, even to the NSA.
48 I don't think I can really comment on this, except to say that smart cards
49 and usb thumb drives are the way to go for security. As long as you can keep
50 control of the device.
53 > In such a case, the question is, if the data, you ciphered, is really worth
54 > the effort of putting a super computer into work for a long time to try any
55 > possible passphrase.
58 Mr. Walters' claim is not that they would put a single super-computer to
59 decrypting it, but a "network of supercomputers". I truly don't think you
60 have to worry about that occurring, unless you are deemed a danger to US
61 National Security. Even then, AES is very hard to crack. The major weakness
62 is the person who encrypts the data. Under questioning, most will give up
63 their keys.
66 > > Cryptology is, at least partly about finding the weakest link, because
67 > > that is what is likely to be attacked in any cryptosystem.
68 >
69 > Of course, absolutely true. Hard disk encryption is by far not perfect,
70 > just look at the cold boot attacks that gained public interest in the last
71 > time. But you didn't talk of _cryptosystems_ in your previous posts, you
72 > did talk about _algorithms_.
75 By themselves algorithms are relatively useless. It is only the application
76 of those algorithms that make them useful. In this case, Mr. Walters pointed
77 out how *NOT* to apply cipher algorithms. Some of the ways, anyway.
80 > Summarizing, the modern ciphers themselves are secure, as there is mostly
81 > no
82 > way to crack them save a brute-force attack on the key. On the other hand,
83 > cryptosystems built around these algorithms can of course contain
84 > weaknesses and holes, like weak passphrases, unsecure key storage, etc.
85 >
86 > > The US Government only keeps classified information on non-networked
87 > > computers in secure environments, so the cipher used does not matter as
88 > > much as the other security measures taken to ensure that the data does
89 > > not fall into the wrong hands.
90 >
91 > May be. I do not know, which restrictions apply to US classified data, I
92 > only know about official statements, the US government made towards the
93 > security of AES.
96 I can neither confirm nor deny Mr. Walters' statement. I will state that the
97 United States Government does, in fact, use ciphers to communicate with
98 Embassies, Military Camps and Bases abroad, and Naval vessels. That hardly
99 fits Mr. Walters' statement.
102 > > A final thought: It is a fact that both the US Navy and the NSA are
103 > > *very* interested in cryptology and data security. The NSA also does
104 > > have large networks of supercomputers that, using parallel, distributed
105 > > or concurrent computing principles can crack keys more quickly than you
106 > > may think.
107 >
108 > You can use simple mathematics to find out, that even the largest super
109 > computers, having one peta flop, needs millions of years to perform an
110 > exhaustive search through AES key space.
111 >
112 > Anyway, you may believe, what you want to believe, I'm just reflecting,
113 > what
114 > real experts like Bruce Schneier have been telling for years: It's wrong
115 > to trust into simple ciphers, but it's equally wrong, to believe, that
116 > anything can be broken.
119 It is equally wrong to believe that any cipher is immune to attack, but it
120 is not nearly as easy as Mr. Walters would have you believe.
124 > my 2 cents
127 My nickel... Jase