From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for wireless technology
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:20:35
1 On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:51:12 -0500
2 Willie Wong wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:02:09AM +0600, El Nino wrote:
5 > > i have a 128kbps Internet connection to my home & now i want give
6 > > access to my college friends to it. (i already have two running
7 > > squid+firewall gentoo servers)
8 > >
9 > > I'm looking for wireless technology to do this. all friends are within 1km.
10 >
11 > A noble pursuit, but I doubt it could be done easily... AFAIK
12 > IEEE802.11 is mostly reliable only for clients within 100 meters.
13 > Unless you live on the top of a hill with wide open space all around
14 > you for kilometers, I doubt you'd get coverage all the way out of 1
15 > kilometer. And if someone happened to be using wireless on neighboring
16 > frequency bands to the one you are using, and if that someone happened
17 > to be physically closer to your friend than you are, there's almost no
18 > hope in establishing a connection...
19
20 What bollocks. 802.11 is capable of 5 km at least with a decent card and
21 directional aerials. Directional aerials can be built from quite cheap
22 materials like woks and other asian food implements, or you can buy
23 commercial directional aerials.
24
25 examples:
26