From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking for wireless technology
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 05:31:03
1 On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:15:06AM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:51:12 -0500
3 > Willie Wong wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:02:09AM +0600, El Nino wrote:
5 > > > i have a 128kbps Internet connection to my home & now i want give
6 > > > access to my college friends to it. (i already have two running
7 > > > squid+firewall gentoo servers)
8 > > >
9 > > > I'm looking for wireless technology to do this. all friends are within 1km.
10 > What bollocks. 802.11 is capable of 5 km at least with a decent card and
11 > directional aerials. Directional aerials can be built from quite cheap
12 > materials like woks and other asian food implements, or you can buy
13 > commercial directional aerials.
14 >
15 In my defense:
16
17 1) I did mention directional signals LATER ON in my post.
18
19 2) Notice that he said "FRIENDS". Plural.
20 So of course I start by commenting on the usual capability of an
21 802.11 signal for an omnidirectional antenna.
22
23 Nick: I notice you use that word (bollocks) a lot. I don't know if to
24 you it is as offensive as it is to me, but I'd appreciate if you don't
25 call it on me before reading my entire post or considering why I wrote
26 what I did. If you had said, for example, "What Bollocks, 802.11 is
27 unregulated band" in response to the misinformation I gave in that post
28 (which someone else corrected), then I'd say "ha, my bad" and move
29 on...
30
31 W
32 --
33 BOOK ...Man had always assumed that he was more
34 intelligent than
35 dolphins because he had achieved so much... the
36 wheel, New York,
37 wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever
38 done was muck
39 about in the water having a good time. But
40 conversely the
41 dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent
42 than man for
43 precisely the same reasons.
44 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1 day, 21:39
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list