From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:06:10
1 On 2018-02-27 16:44, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
2
3 > > > Yes, I use --deep. I've run into cases many times in the past
4 > > > where portage was skipping updates unless I used --deep.
5 > >
6 > > You might want to avoid combining both --deep and --changed-deps.
7
8 When I read this, I realize I don't understand the difference between
9 these two options. Or to be more accurate, I know that --deep means
10 looking at dependencies beyond the first level; but isn't that just a
11 superset of those found by --changed-deps? If so, how would two runs of
12 emerge (each with one of these options) help? Based on my naive
13 hypothesis above, emerge --deep would do everything that emerge --deep
14 --changed-deps would.
15
16 Or not? Please explain.
19 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
20 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
21 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
22 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.