From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is --changed-deps going to be *that* useless?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:43:49
1 On 02/27/2018 12:05 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 >
3 > When I read this, I realize I don't understand the difference between
4 > these two options. Or to be more accurate, I know that --deep means
5 > looking at dependencies beyond the first level; but isn't that just a
6 > superset of those found by --changed-deps?
7
8 You're right about --deep.
9
10 The --changed-deps flag, on the other hand, is a crutch for when
11 developers make in-place edits to ebuilds and don't make the necessary
12 revision bump. The revision bump is required, but sometimes people
13 forget or are just assholes and don't care that this is a huge hassle
14 for end users. When you use --changed-deps, portage scans the tree for
15 those sorts of mistakes, and rebuilds the packages that have been
16 changed in-place, without regard to where in the dependency graph they lie.