From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Problem with disk: cannot mount as ext3 but yes as ext2 ???
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:36:23
1 Gregory SACRE wrote:
2 > Other question about my problem: is it possible that it would be
3 > a sector problem, and that those sectors would contain the
4 > journaling of ext3?
5
6 Yes, it looks like it. :(
7
8 > And that would be the reason why I can mount
9 > it as ext2 and not ext3?
10
11 No. An ext3 filesystem can always be mounted as ext2: it then
12 simply ignores the journal.
13
14 > And therefore, do I need to perform a low level format in order
15 > to bring everything as new?
16
17 No. If it's really a sector problem, throw the disk away: as soon
18 as a disk starts having trouble reading sectors, it is near death.
19
20 Have you tried putting the disk back into the old machine? If the
21 error occurs there too, the disk got damaged during the transition.
22 If not, then Red Hat maybe uses some specially tweaked ext3 format?
23
24 Did you do though what the very first error message told you to try:
25 'dmesg | tail'? Also look in /var/log/messages. Are there any
26 lines about errors while accessing /dev/hdd?
27
28 Benno
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list