From: Chris Brennan <xaero@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: net-setup package
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:17:01
1 The handbook tells you this as well.
2
3 On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM, <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > "Net Warrior" <netwarrior863@×××××.com> writes:
6 >
7 > > HI there guys.
8 > > I've already installed gentoo, and wanting to setup the ethernet , trying to
9 > > use net-setup seems not to be installed, which package do I nneed to install
10 > > in order to have this util?
11 > > It seems I missed something.
12 > >
13 > > Thanks for your time and support.
14 > > Greets,
15 >
16 > The net-setup tool is on the install cd. Not sure if its a separate
17 > installable utility in portage.. but an `eix' search of the portage
18 > database comes up empty.
19 >
20 > The way I do is establish a network running the install image cd or
21 > iso then transfer those settings to the actual install.
22 >
23 > But if you've already moved to the fresh install you should be able to
24 > setup the ethernet by hand with `ifconfig' and `route'.
25 >
26 > Then put those setting into /etc/conf.d/net
27 > /etc/conf.d/domainname
28 > /etc/resolv.conf
29 >
30 > For manual setup:
31 > (assuming eth0 is the device you are going to use)
32 >
33 > ifconfig eth0 my.ip.address (in numeric notation like 192.168.0.2) up
34 > route add default gw my.gateway.addr (in numeric notation)
35 >
36 > (if /etc/resolv.conf does not already contain a nameserver to use)
37 >
38 > echo "nameserver my.nameserver.address" > /etc/resolv.conf
39 >
40 > And finally, if all goes well.. complete the setup so that it starts
41 > on bootup with rc-update
42 >
43 > rc-update add net.eth0 default (to add it to the default run level)
44 >
45 > See if that gets you going...
46 >
47 > --