From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] konqueror:5 - why couldn't it be more like konqueror:3 ?!!
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:45:23
1 On Wednesday 19 Apr 2017 23:23:41 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 19/04/2017 16:57, Mick wrote:
3 > > OK, I know life moves on, but this move has been a retrograde step for me.
4 > > My konqueror:5 recently updated seems to have a number of problems and
5 > > <aheam!> features I am not happy with. Grateful for any pointers to
6 > > address these. In no particular order.
7 > >
8 > > 1. The Bookmarks Toolbar will *always* show up when launching Konqueror.
9 > > I
10 > > deselect Settings/Toolbars Shown/Bookmark Toolbar and relaunch the
11 > > application, only to find out my deselection will not stick.
12 > >
13 > > 2. The menu shows no icons, only text; buttons like open new tab/close
14 > > current tab show no icons, making difficult to guess.
15 > >
16 > > 3. When used as a file manager Konqueror will only open directories or
17 > > files if I double click on them. I have set up in systemsettings5
18 > > Hardware/Input Devices/Mouse/Single click to open files and folders.
19 > > Konqueror ignores it.
20 > >
21 > > 4. All my years of Bookmarks of Konqueror:4 gone. I had to import them
22 > > manually.
23 > >
24 > > 5. Network places, gone.
25 > >
26 > > 6. Left hand Panels with Places/Devices/Folders ain't thaa'r.
27 > >
28 > > 7. Konqueror Introduction page, no icons; unless I hover over them,
29 > > hyperlinked titles shown in dark grey over a blue background. I know my
30 > > eye sight is not as good as it used to be, but this is really akin to
31 > > usability sabotage.
32 > >
33 > > The are probably more problems I have not captured above, but my
34 > > experience of konqueror:5 is that of crippleware. I don't know if this
35 > > has anything to do with it, I am not running konqueror on a full plasma
36 > > desktop, but as a stand alone application. Have you observed similar?
37 >
38 > Halfway through the KDE-4 lifecycle it became known that konqueror then
39 > was essentially without a maintainer in the KDE project. Gut feels tells
40 > me that has likely not changed and the minimum work was done to get it
41 > to build under KDE-5. Just gut feel.
42 >
43 > I gave up on konqueror as a browser during KDE-3 and switched to Dolphin
44 > as file manager in KDE-4. Have you considered that?
45
46 Konqueror with khtml as the rendering engine gives a poor browsing experience
47 with most modern websites. However, switching the rendering engine to webkit
48 fixes this.
51 > Your points 2, 3, 5 & 6 all work in Dolphin familiarly to old Konqueror.
52
53 They did under konqueror:4, but stopped for me with konqueror:5. Also noticed
54 since my last post that Kget is not there, so downloads do not notify me they
55 have completed, and other main menu selections do not stick either between
56 sessions.
59 > I found many things Dolphin couldn't do that don't matter, like snazzy
60 > file views of directories that visually show how big sub-dirs and files
61 > are. I can live without that.
62
63 I liked that too. :-(
66 > The only irritation that mattered was not
67 > being able to repeatedly split panes in half vertically or horizontally;
68 > Dolphin gives you just two panes, side by side. So I started opening
69 > more tabs to get more panes :-)
70
71 Yes, this is one of my dolphin annoyances too. I just don't understand KDE
72 devs. They develop an application just right and then go break it as if to
73 piss us all off. :-@
74
75 As already mentioned by Daniel, it may be that the full Plasma desktop has to
76 be both installed *and* running for all these features to be working as
77 intended.
78 --
79 Regards,
80 Mick