From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] konqueror:5 - why couldn't it be more like konqueror:3 ?!!
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:27:33
1 On 19/04/2017 16:57, Mick wrote:
2 > OK, I know life moves on, but this move has been a retrograde step for me. My
3 > konqueror:5 recently updated seems to have a number of problems and <aheam!>
4 > features I am not happy with. Grateful for any pointers to address these. In
5 > no particular order.
6 >
7 > 1. The Bookmarks Toolbar will *always* show up when launching Konqueror. I
8 > deselect Settings/Toolbars Shown/Bookmark Toolbar and relaunch the
9 > application, only to find out my deselection will not stick.
10 >
11 > 2. The menu shows no icons, only text; buttons like open new tab/close current
12 > tab show no icons, making difficult to guess.
13 >
14 > 3. When used as a file manager Konqueror will only open directories or files
15 > if I double click on them. I have set up in systemsettings5 Hardware/Input
16 > Devices/Mouse/Single click to open files and folders. Konqueror ignores it.
17 >
18 > 4. All my years of Bookmarks of Konqueror:4 gone. I had to import them
19 > manually.
20 >
21 > 5. Network places, gone.
22 >
23 > 6. Left hand Panels with Places/Devices/Folders ain't thaa'r.
24 >
25 > 7. Konqueror Introduction page, no icons; unless I hover over them,
26 > hyperlinked titles shown in dark grey over a blue background. I know my eye
27 > sight is not as good as it used to be, but this is really akin to usability
28 > sabotage.
29 >
30 > The are probably more problems I have not captured above, but my experience of
31 > konqueror:5 is that of crippleware. I don't know if this has anything to do
32 > with it, I am not running konqueror on a full plasma desktop, but as a stand
33 > alone application. Have you observed similar?
37 Halfway through the KDE-4 lifecycle it became known that konqueror then
38 was essentially without a maintainer in the KDE project. Gut feels tells
39 me that has likely not changed and the minimum work was done to get it
40 to build under KDE-5. Just gut feel.
41
42 I gave up on konqueror as a browser during KDE-3 and switched to Dolphin
43 as file manager in KDE-4. Have you considered that?
44
45 Your points 2, 3, 5 & 6 all work in Dolphin familiarly to old Konqueror.
46
47 I found many things Dolphin couldn't do that don't matter, like snazzy
48 file views of directories that visually show how big sub-dirs and files
49 are. I can live without that. The only irritation that mattered was not
50 being able to repeatedly split panes in half vertically or horizontally;
51 Dolphin gives you just two panes, side by side. So I started opening
52 more tabs to get more panes :-)
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com