From: Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unity on Gentoo?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 02:16:38
1 On Sat 24 Sep 2011 11:15:43 PM IST, JD Horelick wrote:
2 > On 24 September 2011 12:33, James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 24 September 2011 06:53, Nilesh Govindarajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Unity is kinda famous, want to try it on Gentoo. Can't find a package in
5 >>> `eix -sS unity', I'm missing something?
6 >>
7 >> What you're missing is the experience of having used it. (Or having
8 >> *tried* to use it).
9 >>
10 >> Once you have, you will see why no one is enthusiastic enough to write
11 >> an ebuild and support it in gentoo (or an overlay).
12 >>
13 >> I'm just glad that Ubuntu still ships with vanilla Gnome (or "Ubuntu
14 >> Classic") by default -- I maintain a few Ubuntu systems for members of
15 >> my family.
18 >> J
22 It's stunning to know that something that's shipped by default with
23 Ubuntu sucks so much? Canonical surely must have gone haywire.
28 > Just my opinion here, but i've used both Unity and gnome-shell and a
29 > *MUCH* prefer Unity (IMO, I could live with Unity if GNOME2 ever went
30 > away, i know i couldn't live with gnome-shell). It seems to have a
31 > more well thought-out interface, it's getting massive improvements and
32 > it's really sane and non-obtrusive (compared to gnome-shell, I still
33 > prefer a "traditional desktop experience").
36 I don't like gnome-shell either, tried it on Fedora Live.
39 Nilesh Govindarajan
40 http://nileshgr.com