From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:36:20
1 On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:02:49 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I prefer Gentoo over Ubuntu for a host of other reasons, but switching
6 >> from Ubuntu to Gentoo just to get a different desktop seems like
7 >> overkill.
8 >
9 > Strange enough but according to the information from the DistroWatch.com
10 > Ubuntu lost a lot of users and its status of the most popular Linux
11 > distribution after switching from Gnome2 to Unity in its 12.04 LTS release.
12
13 It's easy for Distrowatch to claim something that's unprovable.
16 > And its not about a small change in an interface, it is about
17 > we-know-better-what-you-need approach that drove quite a lot
18 > of companies to bankrupcy.
19
20 The rationale at the time was that they wanted to use the right side
21 of the window bar "for an unspecified "something else." So they didn't
22 provide an integrated guified way to move the windows controls back to
23 the right; but gconf-editor was always an apt-get away.
24
25 There's still nothing there so they've either changed their minds,
26 were BSing us and simply wanted to imitate OS X, or were BSing us and
27 simply wanted to differentiate Unity from Gnome.