From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get a DVD to burn.
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:06:15
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Well whether k3b knows it or not, there is 320Gbs of space left. I did
6 >> some more testing and the drive really doesn't do anything now. Even
7 >> hdparm can't read all the info so I ordered a drive about 12 hours ago.
8 >> I have had this brand before so maybe it will be OK.
9 >>
10 > Well, since a while, Linux did follow Solaris and offers tmpfs on /tmp.
11 > tmpfs usually has the size of the RAM + sizeof Swap - something.
12 >
13 > Many programs still don't know about this limitation and try to put
14 > temporary files of any size into /tmp. Try to reconfigure k3b....
15 >
16 > Jörg
20 That what I did. I have /tmp on the root partition which has over 8Gbs
21 free space but just in case I set k3b to use one of my really large data
22 drives which has over 300Gbs of free space. I figure if 300Gbs of free
23 space is not enough to burn a 4Gb file, well, there is not much need to
24 back anything up anyway. ;-)
25
26 This drive is no longer reading a drive either so I think the drive has
27 blown a fuse so to speak. While it was working, then stopped working,
28 then started working again and has pretty much stopped working now, I
29 think the new drive is a good idea. If the new drive doesn't work, I'm
30 at a loss on what to think. Maybe there is a issue with the controller
31 which means a new mobo. I really don't want to go there right now.
32
33 Crosses fingers that the new drive will work.
34
35 Dale
36