From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage and rsync vs svn
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:56:14
1 On Monday 19 June 2006 09:58, Trenton Adams wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I'm just curious about something. I've noticed many people report
5 > problems with their repository syncing simply because someone was in
6 > the middle of committing to the repository. Couldn't this be resolved
7 > by replacing the syncing mechanism with *svn* as opposed to rsync?
8 > After all, it does have atomic transactions, and you cannot get a
9 > partially updated repository when you use it.
10
11 Perhaps it could. But I don't think that problem is important enough to make
12 Portage usage depend on Subversion.
13
14 [...]
15
16 > One other benefit of this mechanism, that I can think of, would be
17 > that I could easily roll back to my last sync date or release, if some
18 > of the updated ebuilds caused me problems.
19
20 That really should not be necessary. What you should of course do is file a
21 bug so the problems can be fixed for everyone.
22
23 > Any thoughts?
24
25 Currently the developers are still using CVS for the tree. Migrating to
26 another VCS does have a high priority but they have not even chosen which VCS
27 to migrate to. There is a Google Summer of Code project which is supposed to
28 test the different options to give a good basis for making a decision. This,
29 however, affects the Gentoo developers only.
32 Bo Andresen