From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:59:03
1 >> -----Original Message-----
2 >> From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
3 >> Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 9:54 AM
4 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
6 >>
7 >> > As always I'm interested in your comments about what works or
8 >> > doesn't work about this sort of setup.
9 >> >
10 >> My main desktop/server currently has two 4TB drives split 1TB/3TB. The two 3TB partitions are raid-5'd with a 3TB drive to give me 6TB of /home space.
11 >>
12 >> I'm planning to buy an 8TB drive as a backup. The plan is it will go into a test-bed machine, that will be used for all sorts of stuff, but it will at least keep a copy of my data off my main machine.
13 >>
14 >> But you get the idea. If you get two spare drives you can back up on to them. I don't know what facilities ZFS offers for sync'ing filesystems, but if you're go somewhere regularly, where you can stash a hard disk (even a shed down the bottom of the garden :-), you back up onto disk 1, swap it for disk 2, back up on to disk 1, swap it for disk 2 ...
15 >>
16 >> AND YOUR BACKUP IS OFF SITE!
17 >>
18 >> Cheers,
19 >> Wol
20
21 Data does not exist unless it exists in at least three places. Assume your most recent backup will also have a problem and plan accordingly with regard to time and number of copies.
22
23 Back in the day the rule of thumb was that whatever losing the data would cost you, you should probably spend about a third of that on redundancy.
24
25 LMP