From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:54:01
1 On 23/12/2021 16:56, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Rich & Wols,
3 > Thanks for the responses. I'll post a single response here. I had
4 > thought of the need to mirror the ZIL but didn't have enough physical
5 > disk slots in the backup machine for the 2nd SSD. I do think this is a
6 > critical point if I was to use the ZIL at all.
7
8 Okay, how heavily are you going to hammer the server writing to it? If
9 you aren't going to stress it, don't bother with the ZIL.
10 >
11 > Based on inputs from the two of you I'm investigating a different
12 > overall setup for my home network:
13 >
14 > Previously - a new main desktop that holds all my data. Lots of disk
15 > space, lots of data. All of my big data work - audio recording
16 > sessions and astrophotography - are done on this machine. Two
17 > __backup__ machines. Desktop machines are backed up to machine 1,
18 > machine 1 backed up to machine 2, machine 2 eventually backed up to
19 > some cloud service.
20 >
21 > Now - a new desktop machine that holds audio recording data currently
22 > being recorded and used due to real-time latency requirements.
23
24 Sounds good...
25
26 < Two new
27 > network machines: Machine 1 would be both a backup machine as well as
28 > a file server. The file server portion of this machine holds
29 > astrophotography data and recorded video files. PixInsight running on
30 > my desktop accesses and stores over the network to machine 1. Instead
31 > of a ZIL in machine 1 the SSD becomes a ZLOG cache most likely holding
32 > a cached copy of the currently active astrophotography projects.
33
34 Actually, it sounds like the best use of the SSD would be your working
35 directory in your desktop.
36
37 > Machine 1 may also run a couple of VMs over time.
38
39 Whatever :-) Just make sure that it's easy to back up! I'd be inclined
40 to have a bunch of raid-5'd disks ...
41
42 Machine 2 is a pure
43 > backup machine of everything on Machine 1.
44 >
45 I'd say don't waste your money. You don't need a *third* machine. Spend
46 the money on some large disk drives, an eSATA card for machine 1, and a
47 hard disk docking station ...
48
49 > FYI - Machine 1 will always be located close to my desktop machines
50 > and use the 1Gb/S wired network. iperf suggests I get about 850Mb/S on
51 > and off of Machine 1. Machine 2 will be remote and generally backed up
52 > overnight using wireless.
53 >
54 > As always I'm interested in your comments about what works or
55 > doesn't work about this sort of setup.
56 >
57 My main desktop/server currently has two 4TB drives split 1TB/3TB. The
58 two 3TB partitions are raid-5'd with a 3TB drive to give me 6TB of /home
59 space.
60
61 I'm planning to buy an 8TB drive as a backup. The plan is it will go
62 into a test-bed machine, that will be used for all sorts of stuff, but
63 it will at least keep a copy of my data off my main machine.
64
65 But you get the idea. If you get two spare drives you can back up on to
66 them. I don't know what facilities ZFS offers for sync'ing filesystems,
67 but if you're go somewhere regularly, where you can stash a hard disk
68 (even a shed down the bottom of the garden :-), you back up onto disk 1,
69 swap it for disk 2, back up on to disk 1, swap it for disk 2 ...
70
71 AND YOUR BACKUP IS OFF SITE!
72
73 Cheers,