From: Jamie <gentoo@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wireless trouble, bad hardware?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:47:42
1 >> I'm having trouble with one of my systems not being able to reliably
2 >> connect to my Gentoo router wirelessly.
3 >>
4 >> I have a Netgear WG311T in the router and also the desktop that is
5 >> having trouble. I have a Netgear WG511T in my laptop. They all use
6 >> the madwifi driver. The laptop connects perfectly every time, and the
7 >> desktop used to connect perfectly but has slowly become less and less
8 >> reliable until now it rarely connects. The laptop and desktop are
9 >> both about 12 feet from the router. I'm in an apartment, but it
10 >> doesn't seem like interference could be the problem since the laptop
11 >> connects perfectly every time.
12 >>
13 >> Can anyone recommend anything to check in software? Does this sound
14 >> like a hardware problem?
15 >
16 > Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot to mention that pinging the
17 > router (192.168.0.1) from the desktop returns:
18 >
19 > From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
20 >
21 > 192.168.1.2 is the router's address on the WAN. If the desktop can't
22 > communicate with the router, how would it know the router's WAN
23 > address?
26 What WAN Address? I cannot see any address other than one of the reserved
27 class C's. I would suggest that either the PC you are pinging from
28 ("desktop") does not have an address in the same range as the router, or
29 the default gateway is incorrect on the "desktop". Another possibility is
30 a an IP conflict but this is less likely.
31 Can you possibly post the IP configuration (ifconfig) from the "desktop"
32 machine so that we can see how the interface is set up.
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list