From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Wireless trouble, bad hardware?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:07:40
1 > >> I'm having trouble with one of my systems not being able to reliably
2 > >> connect to my Gentoo router wirelessly.
3 > >>
4 > >> I have a Netgear WG311T in the router and also the desktop that is
5 > >> having trouble. I have a Netgear WG511T in my laptop. They all use
6 > >> the madwifi driver. The laptop connects perfectly every time, and the
7 > >> desktop used to connect perfectly but has slowly become less and less
8 > >> reliable until now it rarely connects. The laptop and desktop are
9 > >> both about 12 feet from the router. I'm in an apartment, but it
10 > >> doesn't seem like interference could be the problem since the laptop
11 > >> connects perfectly every time.
12 > >>
13 > >> Can anyone recommend anything to check in software? Does this sound
14 > >> like a hardware problem?
15 > >
16 > > Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot to mention that pinging the
17 > > router (192.168.0.1) from the desktop returns:
18 > >
19 > > From 192.168.1.2 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
20 > >
21 > > 192.168.1.2 is the router's address on the WAN. If the desktop can't
22 > > communicate with the router, how would it know the router's WAN
23 > > address?
26 > What WAN Address? I cannot see any address other than one of the reserved
27 > class C's. I would suggest that either the PC you are pinging from
28 > ("desktop") does not have an address in the same range as the router, or
29 > the default gateway is incorrect on the "desktop". Another possibility is
30 > a an IP conflict but this is less likely.
31 > Can you possibly post the IP configuration (ifconfig) from the "desktop"
32 > machine so that we can see how the interface is set up.
33
34 After rebooting the desktop, all I get from ping attempts is:
35
36 connect: Network is unreachable
37
38 so I guess it won't connect at all now. I don't think ifconfig would
39 be useful now, but let me know if I'm wrong or if you have any other
40 ideas.
41
42 - Grant
43 --