From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 23:20:32
1 On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 07/09/11 16:56, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> No worries.  Sometimes when you back up a bit, you may realize you
8 >>> missed something.  I did run memtest and it bad about 45 passes I think
9 >>> with no errors.  That takes a while when you have 16Gbs.  o_O
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Ah, ok. I'd also try a hard drive scan to make sure firefox's stuff
13 >> isn't sitting on bad sectors.
14 >>
15 >> Applications shouldn't be able to cause a kernel panic, period. So if it
16 >> isn't hardware, it's a kernel bug by definition.
20 > I'm going to try having a fresh .mozilla directory as soon as I can.  I'm
21 > sort of enjoying having KDE right now.  ;-)
22 >
23 > I don't think it is the hard drive.  I did a fresh install on a spare drive
24 > with the same results.  so, I'm beginning to think it is a kernel bug but
25 > the thing is, I have tried several versions of that too.
26 >
27 > Basically, this is plain confusing.  I can't see how Firefox, or something
28 > it has to access, can cause a kernel panic.  Thing is, I can't think of
29 > anything else that could be the problem but trying different versions of a
30 > kernel makes me think it is not the kernel either.
31 >
32 > < sighs >
33 >
34 > Dale
35
36 And this is exactly why you should consider posting any information
37 your can find on LKML to let the heavy weight guys figure it out. As I
38 said earlier, I believe they will take you quite seriously. In general
39 I would also say that Firefox should be able to cause a kernel panic,
40 and since it is I know the kernel developers are going to be
41 interested in what's the root cause.
42
43 I don't remember from earlier why you said it was a kernel panic, but
44 clearly it must be. How are you determining this? Do you have info in
45 a terminal? For a few problems I've had I've posted digital photos
46 I've taken and uploaded to FlickR. You might consider doing something
47 similar.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark