From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:06:15
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > And this is exactly why you should consider posting any information
4 > your can find on LKML to let the heavy weight guys figure it out. As I
5 > said earlier, I believe they will take you quite seriously. In general
6 > I would also say that Firefox should be able to cause a kernel panic,
7 > and since it is I know the kernel developers are going to be
8 > interested in what's the root cause.
9 >
10 > I don't remember from earlier why you said it was a kernel panic, but
11 > clearly it must be. How are you determining this? Do you have info in
12 > a terminal? For a few problems I've had I've posted digital photos
13 > I've taken and uploaded to FlickR. You might consider doing something
14 > similar.
15 >
16 > Cheers,
17 > Mark
22 The reason I said kernel panic is because someone else posted that when
23 the keyboard lights blink, that is a kernel panic. Sure enough, when
24 Neil told me how to set it up so that it would automatically reboot when
25 the kernel panics, it does just that. I have no reason to think it is
26 anything other than a kernel panic based on nothing but the kernel doing
27 the reboot and the lights blinking.
28
29 I would like to report this but I wouldn't even know where to start. If
30 I had a lot more knowledge on how to help track it down, then that would
31 be different. I'm not sure I can help much other than telling them
32 Firefox causes a kernel panic but I have no clue how or why.
33
34 Then again, if one of the dev would hold my hand a little, I could copy
35 a install over to my spare drive and then not have to worry about
36 messing up my main install. Fluxbox is OK but I like my KDE better. ;-)
37
38 My old rig was in the middle of a update and we just had a nasty little
39 thunderstorm here. It was OOo of course. It was 7 hours into a 9 hour
40 compile when the lights blinked. My old rig isn't on a UPS anymore.
41 Neat huh? I'm glad for the rain tho. My garden needs it really really
42 bad.
43
44 Dale
45