From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 01:06:18
1 On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> And this is exactly why you should consider posting any information
5 >> your can find on LKML to let the heavy weight guys figure it out. As I
6 >> said earlier, I believe they will take you quite seriously. In general
7 >> I would also say that Firefox should be able to cause a kernel panic,
8 >> and since it is I know the kernel developers are going to be
9 >> interested in what's the root cause.
10 >>
11 >> I don't remember from earlier why you said it was a kernel panic, but
12 >> clearly it must be. How are you determining this? Do you have info in
13 >> a terminal? For a few problems I've had I've posted digital photos
14 >> I've taken and uploaded to FlickR. You might consider doing something
15 >> similar.
16 >>
17 >> Cheers,
18 >> Mark
23 > The reason I said kernel panic is because someone else posted that when the
24 > keyboard lights blink, that is a kernel panic.  Sure enough, when Neil told
25 > me how to set it up so that it would automatically reboot when the kernel
26 > panics, it does just that.  I have no reason to think it is anything other
27 > than a kernel panic based on nothing but the kernel doing the reboot and the
28 > lights blinking.
29 >
30 > I would like to report this but I wouldn't even know where to start.  If I
31 > had a lot more knowledge on how to help track it down, then that would be
32 > different.  I'm not sure I can help much other than telling them Firefox
33 > causes a kernel panic but I have no clue how or why.
34 >
35 > Then again, if one of the dev would hold my hand a little, I could copy a
36 > install over to my spare drive and then not have to worry about messing up
37 > my main install.  Fluxbox is OK but I like my KDE better.  ;-)
38 >
39 > My old rig was in the middle of a update and we just had a nasty little
40 > thunderstorm here.  It was OOo of course.  It was 7 hours into a 9 hour
41 > compile when the lights blinked.  My old rig isn't on a UPS anymore.  Neat
42 > huh?  I'm glad for the rain tho.  My garden needs it really really bad.
43 >
44 > Dale
45
46 Yeah, if you can't report good clear info then it's just a waste of
47 everyone's time. No need to do that.
48
49 Not sure if it would work or even apply but there are some kernel
50 features, mostly I think used around boot time, that send kernel info
51 over either a serial port or more recently an Ethernet link to another
52 computer which then stays alove and captures whatever data gets
53 transmitted. If you were interested in learning about that (I am but
54 haven't had time. I used it years ago to give some LKML guys info they
55 needed to get an ATI chipset to work better) then we might be able to
56 dig into that off line.
57
58 On the other hand, if you're machine is working then it ain't broke, right? ;-)
59
60 Cheers,
61 Mark