From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: getting blank screen when trying to start gdm
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 02:36:34
1 On Sun, 15 May 2016 21:03:19 -0400
2 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > Answers in line.
5 >
6 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > On Sun, 15 May 2016 15:43:51 -0400
9 > > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
10 > >
11 > > > Hi. Since about the end of March, I have been unable to use
12 > > > gnome and even gdm. I am using the gnome overlay and I am using
13 > > > unstable gentoo and nvidia drivers. I get a blank screen when I
14 > > > start gdm, orca just comes up, but there is nothing on the screen.
15 > > >
16 > > > I am using version 355.11-r4 of the nvidia drivers, if I use any
17 > > > later version I get modeset errors and sometimes system
18 > > > crashes. I waited a while because I thought that if some
19 > > > packages got upgraded that would fix the problem, since things
20 > > > used to work, but its still dead as a doornail, so any
21 > > > suggestions would be appreciated.
22 > >
23 > > Well, I'll go through my usual checklist while you wait for a
24 > > helpful reply :)
25 > >
26 > > If you use startx instead of gdm do you still see nothing?
27
28 > startx did not work, it tried to do startx on the wrong console.
29
30 You could try this (depending on which console you're using):
31
32 startx -- tty01 (when I try tty02 I get 'no screens defined' error)
33
34 I have the mate overlay installed and most of it works extremely well,
35 but I see little quirks here and there that I don't see when I run mate
36 on other distros that I test with virtualbox, so I'm not surprised that
37 you might see bigger quirks with the gnome overlay.
38
39 Maybe a 'layman' expert can tell you more.
42 Maybe someone else