From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: getting blank screen when trying to start gdm
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 01:03:37
1 Answers in line.
2
3 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > On Sun, 15 May 2016 15:43:51 -0400
6 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 >
8 > > Hi. Since about the end of March, I have been unable to use gnome and
9 > > even gdm. I am using the gnome overlay and I am using unstable gentoo
10 > > and nvidia drivers. I get a blank screen when I start gdm, orca just
11 > > comes up, but there is nothing on the screen.
12 > >
13 > > I am using version 355.11-r4 of the nvidia drivers, if I use any
14 > > later version I get modeset errors and sometimes system crashes. I
15 > > waited a while because I thought that if some packages got upgraded
16 > > that would fix the problem, since things used to work, but its still
17 > > dead as a doornail, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
18 >
19 > Well, I'll go through my usual checklist while you wait for a helpful
20 > reply :)
21 >
22 > If you use startx instead of gdm do you still see nothing?
23 startx did not work, it tried to do startx on the wrong console.
26 > What happens when you use an older kernel with older nvidia drivers?
27 I am not set up for that and older nvidia drivers would make me
28 downgrade the server and other packages.
31 > Are you using gnome from regular portage while waiting for the
32 > overlay to start working again? If yes, is it working normally?
33
34 How would I do that? I was thinking of trying that, but it would
35 downgrade many packages if I just stopped using the overlay.
38 > Are you using gcc4 or gcc5, and is the entire system built with the
39 > same compiler?
40 gcc 4.9.x whole system using that compiler.
44 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
45 How do
46 you spend it?
47
48 John Covici