From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: getting blank screen when trying to start gdm
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 00:20:20
1 On Sun, 15 May 2016 15:43:51 -0400
2 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > Hi. Since about the end of March, I have been unable to use gnome and
5 > even gdm. I am using the gnome overlay and I am using unstable gentoo
6 > and nvidia drivers. I get a blank screen when I start gdm, orca just
7 > comes up, but there is nothing on the screen.
8 >
9 > I am using version 355.11-r4 of the nvidia drivers, if I use any
10 > later version I get modeset errors and sometimes system crashes. I
11 > waited a while because I thought that if some packages got upgraded
12 > that would fix the problem, since things used to work, but its still
13 > dead as a doornail, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
14
15 Well, I'll go through my usual checklist while you wait for a helpful
16 reply :)
17
18 If you use startx instead of gdm do you still see nothing?
19
20 What happens when you use an older kernel with older nvidia drivers?
21
22 Are you using gnome from regular portage while waiting for the
23 overlay to start working again? If yes, is it working normally?
24
25 Are you using gcc4 or gcc5, and is the entire system built with the
26 same compiler?