From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VRFs / Jails / Containers
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 17:31:18
1 On 2/2/19 11:09 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I am unclear on what you are trying to do.
3
4 See my reply to Rich's message for a description.
5
6 > I find the gentoo scripts good for the simple case but a complex case
7 > almost always needs extra help.
8
9 Yep.
10
11 I was hoping that there was something that I was unaware of or could
12 extend to do what I want to do.
13
14 > If its networking, could something like shorewall help?
15
16 No, I don't think that Shorewall or a similar firewall config management
17 system will help.
18
19 I also find those systems annoying. Sure, they have their benefits.
20 But why do I need them when I should be able to do the same thing on a
21 stock Gentoo (or other) Linux system? After all they are using the same
22 kernel. (Maybe a different version or config there of.)
23
24 I will occasionally look at those solutions and treat them like themed
25 Lego sets. I build them, look at them, analyze them, and pull out the
26 distinct Lego bricks that I want to use in my own system. }:-)