From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing compilers
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:13:40
1 On 03/19/12 17:39, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 19/03/12 07:26, Andrew Lowe wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >> Has anyone played around with the various "better known" compilers on
5 [snip]
6 ...
7 ...
8 [snip]
9 >
10 > You don't need to "change" compilers. You can use whatever one you like
11 > to build your program. The compiler portage uses to build its packages
12 > does not affect your own usage of the others.
13 >
14 > As for the fastest one, I can only speak for Intel CPUs where Intel C++
15 > gives me the fastest binaries.
19 Nikos,
20 Your experience with Intel is what I'm after. Aster, the FEA code I'm
21 going to use is not in Portage hence I will be using it's own build
22 system. When you've used Intel, have you just exported "CC="icc" or
23 something similar, as make.conf won't be used? Also, I've read somewhere
24 that there are libraries that you have to link against that are specific
25 to the Intel compiler as it does not create libraries that are
26 comparable with the gcc produced ones - is this true or does the
27 compiler now "play well" with the gcc world?
28
29 Any thoughts,
30
31 Andrew