From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox/Watefox and jack?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:35:26
1 On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:22 AM Matt Connell (Gmail) <
2 matthewdconnell@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2020-05-05 10:38, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > Is Firefox/Waterfox able to interface with jackd?
6 >
7 > Disclaimer, I do not use Jack.
8 >
9 > Firefox builds, in my personal experience, are intended to be used with
10 > pulseaudio and only pulseaudio. Some people have made some shims for
11 > making it worth with alsa, but they don't look sustainable.
12 >
13 > As the other poster said, this endeavor is likely to result in
14 > frustration. You may get it to 'work' for some value of that word, but
15 > depending on expectations, it may not be worth your while.
16
17 I think Matt makes an excellent point. The solution you're looking for
18 these days really
19 is pulseaudio, not Jack. pulseaudio handles multiple sound source
20 applications, can
21 route to multiple sound cards, and provides rudimentary metering so you can
22 see
23 what's going on. I have no experience using it on anything other than KDE
24 but these
25 days I feel it does a good job at what it's designed for.