From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox/Watefox and jack?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 16:42:55
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:22 AM Matt Connell (Gmail)
5 > <matthewdconnell@×××××.com <mailto:matthewdconnell@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On 2020-05-05 10:38, tuxic@××××××.de <mailto:tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
8 > > > Is Firefox/Waterfox able to interface with jackd?
9 > >
10 > > Disclaimer, I do not use Jack.
11 > >
12 > > Firefox builds, in my personal experience, are intended to be used with
13 > > pulseaudio and only pulseaudio.  Some people have made some shims for
14 > > making it worth with alsa, but they don't look sustainable.
15 > >
16 > > As the other poster said, this endeavor is likely to result in
17 > > frustration.  You may get it to 'work' for some value of that word, but
18 > > depending on expectations, it may not be worth your while.
19 >
20 > I think Matt makes an excellent point. The solution you're looking for
21 > these days really
22 > is pulseaudio, not Jack. pulseaudio handles multiple sound source
23 > applications, can
24 > route to multiple sound cards, and provides rudimentary metering so
25 > you can see
26 > what's going on. I have no experience using it on anything other than
27 > KDE but these
28 > days I feel it does a good job at what it's designed for.
31 Question, somewhat off topic but somewhat on topic.  I use smplayer to
32 send my videos to my TV using the second port on my video card.  I set
33 smplayer to send the audio to the TV, instead of my puter speakers.
34 I've never used pulseaudio but with Firefox heading down that path, I
35 might have to switch.  My question is, if I switched to pulseaudio, can
36 I tell it that smplayer goes to TV and things like Firefox, Seamonkey,
37 gnome-player and such goes to the puter speakers?  From what I've read,
38 it sounds like that is pretty much what it does.  Right now, I'm using
39 ALSA, Kmix and friends.
40
41 Dale
42