From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 02:22:52
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:04:55 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 >>> Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
7 >>> test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you
8 >>> need.
9 >> +1 I always start with the P/S. Well, unless I see something else
10 >> unrelated letting the smoke out. Even then tho, a bad P/S can cause
11 >> the smoke to get out of something else too. It's good advice all the
12 >> way around.
13 >>
14 >> Why not let the computer shop test the P/S? If it blows up something
15 >> of theirs, it's bad. ;-)
18 > You obviously have a much better opinion of the average repair techie
19 > than I do. The average repair techie would know how to fault find his
20 > way out of a paper bag - the "change bits till it starts working" is
21 > the only technique they know.
22 >
23 > That's not to say you don't get good ones - you do - but they are rare.
27 I worked on a friends rig a couple months ago. It would reboot at
28 random. She runs windows so I tried booting a Linux CD. It did the
29 same thing. Eliminates a bad OS, well, windoze is still bad but
30 anyway. lol I checked for dust bunnies, reseated the memory stick,
31 only one of them, and it did the same. So, off to the computer shop I
32 go. I got a P/S and a new stick of ram, she only had 512M so it was dog
33 slow. The computer place tested both parts on the spot for me. They
34 actually plugged the P/S into a mobo and turned it on for a few
35 minutes. Anyway, put in the ram which gave her 1.5Gb and in goes the
36 new P/S. It has worked ever since.
37
38 The two best tools to diagnose a computer problem is this. Smoke and
39 the beep codes. Most important one is first. I also HATE random
40 problems. If you are going to die, just don't cut on at all. At least
41 we know where to start. ^_^
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!