From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 01:57:55
1 On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:04:55 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Rule #1 in dealing with odd weird strange computer faults is ALWAYS
6 > > test with another PSU of at least twice the capacity you think you
7 > > need.
8 >
9 > +1 I always start with the P/S. Well, unless I see something else
10 > unrelated letting the smoke out. Even then tho, a bad P/S can cause
11 > the smoke to get out of something else too. It's good advice all the
12 > way around.
13 >
14 > Why not let the computer shop test the P/S? If it blows up something
15 > of theirs, it's bad. ;-)
19 You obviously have a much better opinion of the average repair techie
20 than I do. The average repair techie would know how to fault find his
21 way out of a paper bag - the "change bits till it starts working" is
22 the only technique they know.
23
24 That's not to say you don't get good ones - you do - but they are rare.
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com