From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:41:16
1 On March 6, 2017 8:17:37 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 2017-03-06, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On March 6, 2017 5:14:39 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards
4 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>On 2017-03-06, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>>> I'm going to try to set up a Wireshark capture in ring-buffer mode
8 >>>and
9 >>>>> somehow detect the failure and stop the capture...
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Did something on the Windows side change?
12 >>>
13 >>>Probaby, but I've learned not to ask questions like that. They never
14 >>>get answered, and it just causes problems when it is revealed that
15 >the
16 >>>client having problems is a Linux machine.
17 >>>
18 >>>> Maybe force Windows down to a lower SMB version or reduce/disable
19 >>>> SMB client side caching?
20 >>
21 >> Windows sharing is designed as a 'link when used' option. Not as a
22 >> permanent mount like Linix treats it.
23 >>
24 >> Even 'mounting' in Windows doesn't mean the share is actually
25 >> accessed.
26 >>
27 >> A windows CIFS server will not be reliable enough for long term
28 >> mounting. With Samba, it does work more reliable. (In my experience)
29 >
30 >It's worked perfectly fine for 10+ years, and apparently continues to
31 >do so for other Linux users in the office.
32
33 And trying to troubleshoot it is not simple. Especially as MS Windows event viewer never shows anything remotely useful. (I tried to troubleshoot various issues, never got anything usefull from the windows admins or event viewer)
34 How do the other Linux users access the shares?
35
36 >> For this reason, I use KDE/Dolphin to access CIFS shares. It is
37 >> closer to how Windows expects the shares to be treated.
38 >
39 >I don't see how things like shell scripts or other applications that
40 >need to access files on the CIFS mounts would use something like that.
41
42 Did you test if a small script that touches a file on the share every minute resolves the issue?
45 Joost
49 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.