From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:18:06
1 On 2017-03-06, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On March 6, 2017 5:14:39 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>On 2017-03-06, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> I'm going to try to set up a Wireshark capture in ring-buffer mode
6 >>and
7 >>>> somehow detect the failure and stop the capture...
8 >>>
9 >>> Did something on the Windows side change?
10 >>
11 >>Probaby, but I've learned not to ask questions like that. They never
12 >>get answered, and it just causes problems when it is revealed that the
13 >>client having problems is a Linux machine.
14 >>
15 >>> Maybe force Windows down to a lower SMB version or reduce/disable
16 >>> SMB client side caching?
17 >
18 > Windows sharing is designed as a 'link when used' option. Not as a
19 > permanent mount like Linix treats it.
20 >
21 > Even 'mounting' in Windows doesn't mean the share is actually
22 > accessed.
23 >
24 > A windows CIFS server will not be reliable enough for long term
25 > mounting. With Samba, it does work more reliable. (In my experience)
26
27 It's worked perfectly fine for 10+ years, and apparently continues to
28 do so for other Linux users in the office.
29
30 > For this reason, I use KDE/Dolphin to access CIFS shares. It is
31 > closer to how Windows expects the shares to be treated.
32
33 I don't see how things like shell scripts or other applications that
34 need to access files on the CIFS mounts would use something like that.
37 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I think my career
38 at is ruined!
39 gmail.com