From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:02:12
1 On March 6, 2017 5:14:39 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 2017-03-06, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I'm going to try to set up a Wireshark capture in ring-buffer mode
5 >and
6 >>> somehow detect the failure and stop the capture...
7 >>
8 >> Did something on the Windows side change?
9 >
10 >Probaby, but I've learned not to ask questions like that. They never
11 >get answered, and it just causes problems when it is revealed that the
12 >client having problems is a Linux machine.
13 >
14 >> Maybe force Windows down to a lower SMB version or reduce/disable
15 >> SMB client side caching?
16
17 Windows sharing is designed as a 'link when used' option. Not as a permanent mount like Linix treats it.
18
19 Even 'mounting' in Windows doesn't mean the share is actually accessed.
20
21 A windows CIFS server will not be reliable enough for long term mounting. With Samba, it does work more reliable. (In my experience)
22
23 For this reason, I use KDE/Dolphin to access CIFS shares. It is closer to how Windows expects the shares to be treated.
26 Joost
27 --
28 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.