From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 07:53:33
1 Am Mon, 06 Mar 2017 19:01:57 +0000
2 schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > On March 6, 2017 5:14:39 PM GMT+01:00, Grant Edwards
5 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >On 2017-03-06, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > [...]
9 > >and
10 > [...]
11 > >>
12 > >> Did something on the Windows side change?
13 > >
14 > >Probaby, but I've learned not to ask questions like that. They never
15 > >get answered, and it just causes problems when it is revealed that
16 > >the client having problems is a Linux machine.
17 > >
18 > >> Maybe force Windows down to a lower SMB version or reduce/disable
19 > >> SMB client side caching?
20 >
21 > Windows sharing is designed as a 'link when used' option. Not as a
22 > permanent mount like Linix treats it.
23 >
24 > Even 'mounting' in Windows doesn't mean the share is actually
25 > accessed.
26 >
27 > A windows CIFS server will not be reliable enough for long term
28 > mounting. With Samba, it does work more reliable. (In my experience)
29 >
30 > For this reason, I use KDE/Dolphin to access CIFS shares. It is
31 > closer to how Windows expects the shares to be treated.
32
33 Then it may help to use automount with a somewhat low timeout, maybe
34 also setup cachefilesd and mount with fsc option. This is how I use my
35 office shares on a 2012 R2 server via VPN.
38 Regards,
39 Kai
40
41 Replies to list-only preferred.