From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small (as in footprint) window manager
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 06:23:34
1 On 12/1/18 9:07 PM, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > You may want to google to be sure but I think the command can be
4 > something like:
5 >
6 > startx <path to fluxbox> Should be /usr/bin/fluxbox.
7 >
8 > That's if you want to start it manually each time.  There are others
9 > ways if you want.  I think the only requirement is a working video card
10 > driver, nvidia-drivers in my case.
11 >
12 > Hope you find something you like.  You are right, there are a LOT of
13 > them out there.
14 >
15 > Dale
16 >
17 > :-)  :-)
20 I decided to follow the wiki entry for fluxbox. Simply using `exec
21 startfluxbox` was enough to get me started.
22
23 I'm currently trying a couple terminals. xterm is pretty basic, I tried
24 eterm based on fluxbox's recommendation (but the package in gentoo
25 doesn't have a maintainer...) and am compiling gnusteps-apps/terminal
26 that was recommended as a decent terminal app. That one has a few
27 dependencies, including clang, but we'll see how it performs.
28
29 Fluxbox is so light that I'm considering using it on my mythtv frontends
30 with a terminal that I haven't quite decided on yet as a backup in case
31 I need to do troubleshooting.
32
33 Dan
34 Dan