From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small (as in footprint) window manager
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 05:07:26
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 12/1/18 8:38 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> It's been a while but last I used Fluxbox, it was tiny.  If you just do
4 >> a basic install, it isn't much to it.  Of course, it isn't feature rich
5 >> either but it should run well on a low powered machine or consume very
6 >> little resources on a bigger system.  I've got two fluxbox packages
7 >> installed here.  Here is some info on them.
10 >> root@fireball / # equery s x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod
11 >> x11-wm/fluxbox
12 >>   * x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod-20050128-r1
13 >>           Total files : 1539
14 >>           Total size  : 4.22 MiB
15 >>
16 >>   * x11-wm/fluxbox-1.3.7-r3
17 >>           Total files : 339
18 >>           Total size  : 3.89 MiB
19 >> root@fireball / #
22 >> I'm not sure the top one is needed.  I think I installed it so I could
23 >> tweak a few things.  At one point, I thought about switching, back when
24 >> KDE was a disaster.
25 >>
26 >> I'm sure others will have ideas but you may want to check into Fluxbos.
27 >> Install time is pretty short.  If you don't like it, just unmerge it.  I
28 >> keep it installed here just in case a KDE update goes sideways.
29 >>
30 >> Dale
31 >>
32 >> :-)  :-)
35 > Thanks Dale!
36 >
37 > After the new stable 4.14.x kernel finishes compiling I think I'll
38 > give that a try. I completely forgot about fluxbox. The one I was
39 > thinking about was maybe enlightenment, but there are likely many of
40 > these things out there.
41 >
42 > On that machine I don't even boot to a login manager of any sort. So
43 > keeping things simple is great.
44 >
45 > Dan
49 You may want to google to be sure but I think the command can be
50 something like:
51
52 startx <path to fluxbox> Should be /usr/bin/fluxbox.
53
54 That's if you want to start it manually each time.  There are others
55 ways if you want.  I think the only requirement is a working video card
56 driver, nvidia-drivers in my case.
57
58 Hope you find something you like.  You are right, there are a LOT of
59 them out there.
60
61 Dale
62