From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small (as in footprint) window manager
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 04:52:09
1 On 12/1/18 8:38 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > It's been a while but last I used Fluxbox, it was tiny.  If you just do
3 > a basic install, it isn't much to it.  Of course, it isn't feature rich
4 > either but it should run well on a low powered machine or consume very
5 > little resources on a bigger system.  I've got two fluxbox packages
6 > installed here.  Here is some info on them.
9 > root@fireball / # equery s x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod x11-wm/fluxbox
10 >  * x11-themes/fluxbox-styles-fluxmod-20050128-r1
11 >          Total files : 1539
12 >          Total size  : 4.22 MiB
13 >
14 >  * x11-wm/fluxbox-1.3.7-r3
15 >          Total files : 339
16 >          Total size  : 3.89 MiB
17 > root@fireball / #
20 > I'm not sure the top one is needed.  I think I installed it so I could
21 > tweak a few things.  At one point, I thought about switching, back when
22 > KDE was a disaster.
23 >
24 > I'm sure others will have ideas but you may want to check into Fluxbos.
25 > Install time is pretty short.  If you don't like it, just unmerge it.  I
26 > keep it installed here just in case a KDE update goes sideways.
27 >
28 > Dale
29 >
30 > :-)  :-)
33 Thanks Dale!
34
35 After the new stable 4.14.x kernel finishes compiling I think I'll give
36 that a try. I completely forgot about fluxbox. The one I was thinking
37 about was maybe enlightenment, but there are likely many of these things
38 out there.
39
40 On that machine I don't even boot to a login manager of any sort. So
41 keeping things simple is great.
42
43 Dan