From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:19:15
1 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 04:38:56PM -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 >> >>> what's taking so long when emerging packages despite distcc is used?
6 >> >>> […]
7 >> >>> Some compilations are being run on the remote machine, so distcc does
8 >> >>> work. The log file on the remote machine shows compilation times of a
9 >> >>> few milliseconds up to about 1.5 seconds at most. The distcc server
10 >> >>> would be finished with the emerging within maybe 15 minutes, and the
11 >> >>> client takes several hours already.
12 >> >>>
13 >> >>> Is there something going wrong? Is there a way to speed things up as
14 >> >>> much as I would expect from using distcc?
15 >> > […]
16 >> > Can it be that the client is simply too slow compared to the server to
17 >> > give it any significant load? (The client isn't exactly slow; it's slow
18 >> > compared to the server.)
19 >>
20 >> Once a really long time ago I tried doing this sort of thing. What I
21 >> found is that the network speed between the two systems was what was
22 >> slowing it down. It just couldn't transfer the data back and forth fast
23 >> enough. I had a network card that really didn't have any good drivers
24 >> for it. Anyway, it may not be your problem but it may be worth looking
25 >> at to be sure. Using iftop or some similar tool should tell you
26 >> something.
27 >
28 > Well I’m using distcc over WiFi which gives me shy of 2 MB per second (only
29 > the big PC which acts as server is connected to the router via cable). For
30 > such cases I recommend using compression. It definitely increased throughput.
31
32 Wireless is a bad crutch which is only useful when it's entirely
33 impossible to use a cable. I'd recommend using a cable, especially in
34 this case where the CPU is already compiling so slow.
35
36 Dale, thanks for the suggestion --- the network is fine and transfers
37 about 100MB/sec+.
38
39 > What I observe on my setup, though, is that sometimes a package builds with
40 > distcc, and then all of a sudden I get (the meaning of) “distributing via
41 > distcc failed, building locally” and after a while it works again. No idea
42 > what’s going on there.
43
44 The server might be busy, or it's not possible to compile remotely.