From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 22:48:42
1 On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 04:38:56PM -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > >>> what's taking so long when emerging packages despite distcc is used?
4 > >>> […]
5 > >>> Some compilations are being run on the remote machine, so distcc does
6 > >>> work. The log file on the remote machine shows compilation times of a
7 > >>> few milliseconds up to about 1.5 seconds at most. The distcc server
8 > >>> would be finished with the emerging within maybe 15 minutes, and the
9 > >>> client takes several hours already.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Is there something going wrong? Is there a way to speed things up as
12 > >>> much as I would expect from using distcc?
13 > > […]
14 > > Can it be that the client is simply too slow compared to the server to
15 > > give it any significant load? (The client isn't exactly slow; it's slow
16 > > compared to the server.)
17 >
18 > Once a really long time ago I tried doing this sort of thing. What I
19 > found is that the network speed between the two systems was what was
20 > slowing it down. It just couldn't transfer the data back and forth fast
21 > enough. I had a network card that really didn't have any good drivers
22 > for it. Anyway, it may not be your problem but it may be worth looking
23 > at to be sure. Using iftop or some similar tool should tell you
24 > something.
25
26 Well I’m using distcc over WiFi which gives me shy of 2 MB per second (only
27 the big PC which acts as server is connected to the router via cable). For
28 such cases I recommend using compression. It definitely increased throughput.
29
30 What I observe on my setup, though, is that sometimes a package builds with
31 distcc, and then all of a sudden I get (the meaning of) “distributing via
32 distcc failed, building locally” and after a while it works again. No idea
33 what’s going on there.
36 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
37 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
38
39 “Your code is shit.. your argument is shit.” – Linus Torvalds, linux.kernel